Tuesday, August 21, 2007

First Day of School



Jacob started kindergarten and Ellie started preschool today. This would have been a day of tears for me, but since we decided to homeschool them, I didn't have to cry when we said goodbye. Instead, it consisted of taking their pictures on the front porch with their backpacks (which were empty!), and then heading back in the house to start school. I chose to use the LifePacs curriculum from Alpha Omega Publications for Jacob. It is a great Bible-based program that will challenge, but not frustrate, him. Ellie is using the new Horizons preschool curriculum. It is also Bible-based and has so many extra activities that I will be able to stretch it over two years. Our first day went well and we were able to finish all of the work in about an hour. Apparently, Jacob wasn't ready to be done, so I had to pull out some Carson-Dellosa workbooks for him to work on. To celebrate this milestone, Mom and Dad took us all to Frisch's for lunch. I know everyday won't be this easy, but so far I am really enjoying homeschooling. Check back later to see if I feel the same way next week! =)




Ellie with her Dora backpack and pink elephant




Jacob with his Buzz Lightyear backpack



Showing off their backpacks from Auntie Angel and Uncle Gary


Sitting at their "new" school desk
(It is actually one that Nathan and I used when we were in first grade at Dayton Christian. They decided to replace them when I was teaching there, so we are now the proud owners of several of these double desks. Eventually, the rest will make their way out of my parents' garage!)

Emmaline hangs out in the exersaucer while we do school work.

1 comment:

C said...

Just saying hello! I was hunting down other homeschoolers online that use LifePacs. Thought it might be an interesting search, and my kids are excited to see that others use the same curriculum!