Thursday, December 22, 2011

Melting Dreams

I've had several people on facebook ask for recipes that I'm using this Christmas, so I thought I would post them here for everyone.

These shortbread cookies are one of my favorites.  I think my mom found this recipe in the local newspaper several decades ago and it has become one of our Christmas food traditions.  They really do melt in your mouth, hence the name, "Melting Dreams".  One recipe only makes about 2 dozen cookies, so I always make at least a triple batch.

Melting Dreams (Shortbreads)

1 1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. corn starch
1/2 c. powdered sugar
3/4 c. butter (you must use salted butter for the right taste)

Mix dry ingredients together.
Cut in butter w/ pastry blender and then use your hands (The warmth of your hands helps blend the butter thoroughly, though if the butter is soft enough, I've discovered that my kitchen aid mixer does just as well.)
Shape dough into a large ball.
Use 1 Tbsp. of dough and roll into a ball.
Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Make a crisscross pattern on top of each cookie with a fork.
Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes or until bottoms are light brown.  Do not  let the tops brown, or the cookies will be too done.

Enjoy!


No comments: