Sunday, September 21, 2008

How I Spent My Weekend

This weekend was pretty rough on me. I woke up Saturday morning with some back pain on my right side. By 11 am, I was doubled over in pain and couldn't hardly lift my right leg. I had this kind of pain almost 3 years ago when I experienced my first kidney stone. Lucky me, I got to relive the experience again. Men typically compare kidney stones to the pain of childbirth, but seeing as they've never birthed a child, I never believed it. After having 3 kids naturally and having kidney stones twice, I can say...brace yourself for this...the men were RIGHT!

Nathan took the kids to the party at his mom's work Saturday afternoon and I took some Vicodyn to relieve my pain. I then spent the rest of the day laying on the couch and making many trips to the toilet (for obvious and unfortunate reasons). Nathan returned to work Saturday night and I was in no shape to care for the kids, so Nathan's parents graciously kept them at their house overnight. This was my first night away from Emmaline which was a little hard, but she was in good hands and had a wonderful time with her grandparents (as did Jacob and Ellie).

Sunday morning, Nathan took Jacob and Ellie to church and then my parents took them to their house to spend the day while Emmy stayed with his parents again. My back still felt tender, but nothing compared to how it felt yesterday. I spent another day on the couch trying to rest up so that we can start homeschooling again tomorrow. I was really missing the kids, so Nathan brought them back to the house so we could visit some before they went to bed. After the kids were asleep, I still didn't feel quite right, so I made a trip to Urgent Care. The doctor informed me that in addition to my kidney stone, I also had a bladder infection. Yeah me for accomplishing this medical rarity! He gave me two prescriptions and then I headed to CVS to have them filled. I spent nothing because we've already met our insurance deductible for the year and actually made $25 on the trip (I had a coupon for a free $25 gift card with any new prescription), so at least something positive happened from the experience. I'm hoping that once the antibiotics kick in I'll start to feel back to normal. I still don't know whether I passed the kidney stone or not but am hoping that it is at least another 3 years (or NEVER!) before I experience another one.

My Weekend Supplies:
comfy pillow, glass of water (I am so sick of drinking water), trashcan, tv/dvd remotes, & snuggly blanket

Paige, my faithful couch companion


Emily said...

Way to go for having the wherewithall to make money on your prescription at CVS even though you were deathly ill! That's a true frugalista!

Glad you are feeling better. My neighbor had a kidney stone just a few weeks after giving birth and said the same thing - it was quite comparable in pain. Ouch!

Gwen Ernst said...

Wow, sorry you had to go through that again. Glad you are feeling a little better now.